Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Triggers that Motivate me to Start this Blog

At 51, I am finding that the latest technological developments and other current trends are moving along faster than I can easily keep up with it. I want to work at this and find ways to enable others like me to navigate these currents and stay afloat...stay savvy, productive, tuned in. I have some catch-up work to do, as probably most of us do. We don't need to be ashamed of that! The world is moving fast. It makes it an exciting place, and we can just keep learning and growing along with it.
There are a number of prompts that cause me to think writing on this topic would be helpful. One, I need to keep learning for my own sake to avoid becoming incapable of working with the latest new tools that make people's lives more productive and efficient. I want to be productive! Another, I know a man in my church who would so benefit from learning how to use an mp3 player so he can listen to podcasts, music, sermons. I do these things, and it isn't that hard. I found that our library has a program that utilizes teens to teach the older people how to use their gadgets. What a great tool! Get a teen and learn a gadget. You could do this in your own life. For some reason, the younger mind can learn faster by doing than by using an instruction manual; I often find need for the manuals or for someone who can guide me through it. And the third thing was that on facebook, I signed up for an application "scribd" in order to download a document a friend had posted. Next thing I knew, various people were subscribing to me on this application. I don't know what it does or what is expected of me because of it! But I want to find out. I know it has something to do with publicizing pdf files, and that could come in handy. I can't maximize its usefulness, though, without understanding what it is about and why people would subscribe to it. There is yet a fourth event that caused me to think of blogging on the topic of keeping current: I checked out a book from the library because the title made me laugh and intrigued me at the same time: The Seniors' Survival Guide. I have to say I had high expectations that I would learn something in it, but reading it only made me realize that I could have written something more helpful. The book is funny but only very minimally informative.
So here is the start of what I hope will be a great learning process for both me and those who choose to read what I will be learning and writing about. I think topics abound and at the rate that technology advances, I will be busy until the day I die. And that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment