Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Sanity That was Saved Through Technological Wonders and Conveniences

Last summer a relative put together a family reunion. On the way home (about a 4-hour drive), we had a flat tire, the first I'd experienced in years! What could have been a stressful ordeal became fairly simple and inexpensive and as a result, low-stress in comparison to my previous flat tire experiences. For one thing, we have a GPS. Well, actually, my husband "has" it, as I gave it to him since he drives all over the state with his work. In spite of my thinking that he needed it, I'm the only one who actually uses it. I'm so thankful for that piece of technology! The other thing that reduced the stress of that day was having our AAA number programmed into my cell phone.
So when it was clear that we had a flat tire, the first thing I did was whip out my cell phone and call AAA without even having to pull out my card and look up their number. AAA of course wanted to pinpoint where we were; so we looked on our GPS and found out which would be the next exit north of where we were.
While we were waiting for the tow truck, I looked up automotive care on our GPS. WalMart was the closest one available; the GPS gave us the address and phone number and of course the map; I called the store. It was $10 to repair a punctured tire. So that's where we took the car. In about half an hour, we were at the store, and another hour later, we were on our way home. Admittedly, an hour in a WalMart store without a list of things to buy goes by fairly slowly, but it could have been so much worse! I'm thankful that we weren't stuck on the side of the road without a cell phone, without a GPS, waiting for some sympathetic or law-enforcing individual to stop and see how to help us, and not having any clue about who could fix the tire or how much they would take us for. Yup, these times are amazing, and that was one of my most delightful testimonies regarding the wonders of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment